Friday, October 16, 2009

Moral Majority

Here I was wishing that more of my fellow Americans would step up and agree that a reasonable baseline of health care should be guaranteed for all of our fellow citizens.

And then I learned about the case of Jamie Leigh Jones. Go ahead, click the link and read about what happened to this poor lady while she worked in Iraq. I'm not going to repeat it here because it makes me sick.

In response, Senator Al Franken offered an amendment to a defense appropriations bill that would ban federal funds to companies that forbid employees from suing for rape.

Not surprisingly, the amendment was added, but it is a sad day that such an amendment is even necessary.

If that was all there was to the story, it would merely be depressing. No, to make things truly sickening you would need to know that 30 Senators voted against the amendment. 30 Senators voted to prevent gang-rape victims from suing their coworkers.

If you would like to know your Senators' stance on defending rape, you can find a list of the 30 pro-rape Senators along with their contact information here. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that that they are all men.

So now I feel pretty foolish. Here I was hoping my fellow Americans would be Good Samaritans and agree universal health care is a good thing, but apparently we can't even agree rape is wrong.

No comments: